Wednesday 23 May 2012

The Olympic meme

It's been a while since I last did a question and answer meme so when Lou from Bloggomy tagged me in her Olympic meme, I had to join in. We're stupidly excited about the Olympics in this family, which is unsurprising given our love of sport.

Lou has asked nine questions for me to answer so here we go.

1. If every day tasks were Olympic events what would you get a gold medal in?
Tweeting, perhaps? On second thoughts, Hidden Talent is currently on my telly which I've found fascinating. I did some of the online tests and I got 6 out of 6 in the lie detection test so maybe I could win a gold for that too.

2. As a child (or now even) did you excel at a particular sport and if so which one?

Lord, no. I was always rubbish at sport and still am. I may be a fitness freak but I certainly do not excel.

3. Michael Phelps (swimmer) or Michael Johnson (runner) - which sport appeals to you more?

Running. I'm going to be very British here - Michael Phelps made swimming a bit boring for a while when he kept winning everything. Michael Johnson was awesome but didn't dominate in the same way whilst remaining a true champion.

4. How fast can you get out of bed and ready to go out the door if miss the alarm and sleep in?

This happened to me not long ago actually. Luckily, the children were already up and dressed but hadn't had breakfast. I woke up at 8.40 (the time we usually leave for school), jumped out of bed, threw clothes on whilst shouting the children to brush their teeth, grabbed them some fruit for breakfast, piled them in the car and dashed to school (within legal limits of course!). They walked into school at 8.54. As it takes 5 mins to drive and a couple of minutes to get out of the car etc, I reckon we got out of the house in 5 or 6 minutes. Oh, and I now set a second alarm on the phone for 8.15 in case I miss the first one!

5. What fantasy sport would you like to see made into an Olympic event?

Omelette making. I love the omelette challenge on Saturday Kitchen. It could be the 100m final of the Culinary Olympics - were there such a thing - and it would be a great topic of conversation - were they making an omelette or scrambled eggs. Imagine the controversy!

6. Claim to fame time - Have you ever met an Olympian and who was it?

Hmm. You know, I don't think I have. I have met lots of sportsmen but I don't think I've actually, knowingly, met an Olympian. Which is odd, considering so many cyclists live around here, because of our relative proximity to Manchester and the Velodrome.

7. What event in past Olympics can you remember most vividly?

I think it would have to be Kelly Holmes winning her second gold medal in Athens. Yes, I was shouting at the telly. What of it?

8. Tuning in at home, not for me or tickets clamped ready in sweaty palms?

We were lucky enough to get tickets for the football at Old Trafford. One of the sessions we picked out in May last year turns out to include a match featuring Great Britain, which is even more exciting for us all. We decided it was a trip too far to go to London with the children so the rest will be watched from home.

Edit - and our tickets arrived this morning. Even more excited now!

9. Who do you think most deserves a gold medal (any walk of life not just Olympians)?

Having just spent a long day in school as part of an interview panel to recruit a new teacher, I would have to say all teachers. They are a very underrated and sometimes beleaguered profession but they have to maintain high professional standards, have to juggle all the various aspects of their daily work and they have to jump through massive hoops just to get a job in the first place. They deserve our praise and our support but they are often an easy target.

Now I need to tag a few people to carry this on like an Olympic torch (which funnily enough, is coming to our town next week!)

They are

Kate at WitWitWoo
Helen at Casa Costello
Alice at An Essex Wife
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails